Recommended Reports and Resources by
Policy, Research and Advocacy Organizations
Also see reports from the Progressive Maryland Education Fund
- Maryland Budget & Tax Policy Institute; and Maryland Policy Reports
- Center on Budget & Policy Priorities
- Economic Policy Institute and weekly Economic Snapshots
- Maryland Commons, great state news weekly
- Maryland Politics Watch
- Community Catalyst: News on health care reform and advocacy
and Building Blocks of State Health Reform: A Policy Guide for Advocates
- Hear Dan Rodricks Show on WYPR FM
- Hear The Marc Steiner Show every Weds. 9-10am on WEAA FM, and visit the CenterforEmergingMedia.com blog/podcast site
- KickTheOilHabit.org: A campaign of the nonpartisan Center for American Progress Action Fund
- Union City! daily e-zine of Metro Washington Council, AFL-CIO.
- Union Shop Online AFL-CIO Activist Store
- Union resources from BigLabor.com
- ACLU's Blog of Rights: Reclaim your liberties
- Inequality.org website launched by Demos and the Project on Inequality and the Common Good, Institute for Policy Studies. For advocates, policymakers, journalists, academics and citizens on the magnitude, causes and far-reaching consequences of the growing economic divide.
- Explore Crabopedia, online encyclopedic wiki on Maryland politics, law, economics, cultural and other aspects of life in the Free State.
- Maine Senate President on Public Financing, Senator Beth Edmonds describes the virtues of voluntary, public funding of campaigns, which has worked great in her state of Maine and Arizona for four election cycles.
- CEPR deficit calculator and IOUSA not OK
- The Union Wage Advantage for Low-Wage Workers from CEPR
- Change To Win's American Dream Project identifies workers top concerns
- Two new books explain what's happening to worker's wages:
Kim Bobo's "Wage Theft in America" (and video) and EPI's
Jared Bernstein's "Crunch: Why Do I Feel So Squeezed?"
- MBTPI analysis: "Board of Public Works Approves $297 Million in Mid-year Cuts"
- Invest in America's Future, USAction and True Majority's plan for "Next New Deal"
- Opportunity for National Health Reform in 2009, PowerPoint; Community Catalyst
- Board of Public Works Approves $297 Million in Mid-year Cuts, MBTPI
- Unions and Upward Mobility for Young Workers, CEPR, Oct
- Erosion of Employment-Based Insurance, Economic Policy Inst., Oct
- Invest in America's Future -- USAction's bold plan to jumpstart the economy and create opportunity for working families.
- How Can We Prevent Long Lines from Disenfranchising Voters? SaveOurVotes
- No Small Change: Unitemized Contributions Add Little to Campaign Coffers, Institute on Money in Politics
- All Over the Map, a report from Public Campaign on how voluntary, public funding of campaigns in Arizona is enabling a broader swath of the public to fund campaigns, thereby decreasing the clout of big-money special interests
- How the Internet Has Affected Citizen Engagement by the Congressional Management Foundation (CMF) found half of Americans contacted Congress in the last five years!
- Pulling Apart: A State-by-State Analysis of Income Trends from Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and Economic Policy Institute
- Maryland Policy Reports, from Maryland Budget & Tax Policy Institute
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities- Statement on Census' 2006 Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Data
- United for a Fair Economy- State of the Dream 2007
- Building Powerful Community Organizations: a Personal Guide
- We Make Change: Community Organizers Talk about What They Do and Why
- Freedom Framework: Renewed Vision Can Serve as Moral Compass for America
- From Poverty to Prosperity: A National Strategy to Cut Poverty in Half, CAP
- The Progressive Majority: Why a Conservative America is a Myth
- Maryland Statewide Survey-June 2007 from Alliance for Tax Fairness
- Maryland Fiscal Crisis Factsheet from League of Women Voters
- Combined Reporting Factsheet from Maryland PIRG
- Income Tax Fact Sheet from Alliance for Tax Fairness
- War and Occupation in Iraq, Global Policy Forum
- NCLB/ESEA Action Guide to reform "No Child Left Behind," NEA
- Employee Free Choice Act Campaign: Get Details and DVD from AFLCIO.org
- United for a Fair Economy's Teaching Economics As If People Mattered
- Breaking Free with Fair Elections: New Declaration of Independence for Congress
- From Poverty to Prosperity, Report from Center for American Progress, April 25
- Progressive Taxation: Some Hidden Truths, George Lakoff-Bruce Budner, April 17
- The Progressive Agenda for the States 2007: Values & Vision for America The Center for Policy Alternatives, December 2006
This Seventh Annual Edition features 50 of the most innovative policy solutions being debated and enacted by states. Issues include: Identity Theft, Global Warming, Fair Share Health Care, Sudan Divestment, and Predatory Lending.
- Take Back America 2007: Reports and Videos from the June 18-20 conference
Inspiring and informative documentation of plenaries and key panels at this popular national annual event for progressive activists. Included are videos of congressional and organizational leaders and top 2008 presidential candidates.
- The Progressive Majority: Why a Conservative America is a Myth, Campaign for America's Future, June 2007
- War and Occupation in Iraq, Global Policy Forum, June 2007
While most studies focus on the sectarian bloodshed, this 117-page report highlights the enormous violence of the occupation forces. The increasing air war results in heavy casualties as well as the daily killing of civilians at checkpoints, during house searches, by snipers, and by ground bombardment. Nearly a million Iraqis have died due to the effects of the occupation and 4 million have fled from their homes. A dozen cities have been destroyed by U.S. attacks. It includes a map of the major prisons and U.S. bases. The five biggest bases are gigantic and built for decades of use. Their airfields can launch air strikes around the clock. The new U.S. embassy complex is the biggest U.S. diplomatic facility in the world.
- Discounting Rights: Wal-Mart's Violation of US Workers’ Right to Freedom of Association, Human Rights Watch, May 2007. Details Wal-Mart's anti-union efforts, with stories from employees like Terry Daly, whose job was to prevent shoplifting, but was told to turn security cameras on workers trying to form a union.
- Teaching Economics As If People Mattered, United for a Fair Economy, 2007.
Includes topics such as "War & the Economy" plus other workshops and reports.
- NCLB/ESEA Action Guide, National Education Association, spring 2007
Online tools and resources to promote NEA's campaign to reform "No Child Left Behind." The site is full of fact sheets, including the impact of President Bush's 2008 education funding budget proposal, by state and congressional district.
- Bush's Social Security Privatization Plan and Maryland
- The Conservative Nanny State, from Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Paid Sick Days Would Help Both Employees and Employers, Center for American Progress, December 2006. Details how worsening job growth, wages and benefits hurt families.
- Naughty & Nice 2006, Center for American Progress, December 2006
- What Everyday Americans Really Think (and Elites Don't Get) About the Economy, Economic Policy Institute, December 2006
- The Wealth Primary: The Role of Big Money in the 2006 Congressional Primaries, US Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), November 2006
- Cities on the Right Track: Building Public Addiction Treatment Systems, June 2006. Videos, audio clips, and presentations from the conference sponsored by Open Society Institute-Baltimore, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and the City of Baltimore.
- 99% of Marylanders Are Net Losers Under Bush Tax and Spending Policies
In a June 2006 study, Citizens for Tax Justice documents how 99% of Marylanders lose from President Bush's fiscal policies.
Also see reports from the Progressive Maryland Education Fund
Make a tax-deductible donation to Progressive Maryland Education Fund
to support our work providing these vital training and educational resources.